How to Rotate/Flip a Video (iPhone, Android, Windows & Mac)
Want to rotate a video because of wrong orientation when recording video or simply want to flip a movie clip for fun? Here we present simple and helpful methods to perform these actions using iPhone & Android apps along with PC and Mac OS X software.
There is a direct and easy method to rotate videos on iPhones and that’s using Apple iMovie app – which is free for users with iOS 7 devices or later (iPhone 7, 7 Plus, 6, 6 Plus, 5S, 5C, etc.).
iMovie for iOS also allows user to easily flip a video (or make a mirror effect) through the app.
But for people with older iOS tablets and phones (such as iPhone 5 or 4) which should pay to use iMovie app on their devices, there are alternative apps which could be used to rotate videos – and do lots of other video editing stuff.
Here are the best free iPhone apps for video rotation and flipping:
- Video Rotate & Flip – the latest version of this app has a size of about 24MB and is compatible with iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch (iOS 8 or later versions). Export settings include QuickTime and MPEG-4 file types. Also, there is no time limit and watermark in this video app. Download from Apple iTunes Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/video-rotate-flip-no-time-limit/id813426004?mt=8
- Video Swivel – in addition to changing orientation of a video (free angle rotation, rotate by 270, 180 and 90 degrees), Video Swivel app could also be used to create videos in different aspect ratio (16:9, 3:4, 2:3, etc.), flip videos, adjust zoom (scale), crop videos, and more. Download Video Swivel: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/video-swivel/id548392426?mt=8
- Cute CUT – and for those looking for more from an iPhone app to fulfill their video editing needs, Cute CUT is a full featured video editing app with numerous options and possibilities: pre-defined transitions, advanced brushes, directly drawing on movies, Facebook/YouTube Sharing and so on. Download Cute CUT: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cute-cut-full-featured-video-editor/id583555212?mt=8
Android users could also benefit from different Android apps for adjusting and editing videos including flipping and rotation.
Here we chose top 4 apps for Android:
- Rotate Video FX – a simple and easy-to-use app which could quickly help a user in correcting the picture orientation of their desired video selected from camera or gallery. Supported degrees are 90, 180 and 270. Download this free app from: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobile.bizo.rotate&hl=en
- Flip Video FX – just like the above app, this is another specially made app which only help user in achieving one single task and that’s flipping their video in the simplest way. Download Flip Video FX: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobile.bizo.flip&hl=en
- Video Editor – a great app made by CodeEdifice which combines the above rotate and flip functions with other useful features such as video reverse, add audio to video, video to image/mp3 conversion and fast/slow motion video. Download: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codeedifice.videoeditingkit
- PowerDirector Video Editor App – with even more features than previous app, this great app with millions of downloads on Google Play store and lots of great user reviews offers a vast amount of video and photo editing options which make it more suitable for more advanced users. Features include: rotate, crop, split, trim, custom soundtrack and voice over capabilities, PiP video overlay, video collage effects and a lot more. Video export options support 720p, 1080p (Full HD) and 4K videos. Download PowerDirector Video Editor: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cyberlink.powerdirector.DRA140225_01
Windows & Mac OS X
One of the great ways to rotate or flip a video on a computer with Windows operating system is using Wondershare Filmora software. This powerful program is especially developed for editing and making great videos which support different devices and systems including Mac and Windows.
Follow these steps to rotate a video on Filmora application:
- Load video files after launching the application – the video editor software is also capable of loading videos from different devices such as iPhone, for instance. So, loading movie clips would occur directly just after iPhone is connected to the computer and automatically detected by the program.
- The video editing window will open after double clicking the video. This is where the rotate option could be found. And then, after everything seems OK just click the ‘OK’ button.
- Actually, the task is already finished at the previous step, but we could simply continue our editing in the software if we want. Otherwise, saving the video would be the next step so that the recently rotation change would be stored to the file. To do that, ‘Export’ option could be used to save the file for a specific device and with appropriate adjustments and settings. Next, the output video could be shared to Facebook as well.
Please note that in addition to rather simple functions of video flipping and rotation, Filmora software provides lots of great possibilities and features as well which have been previously reviewed in another article on TechaLook website.
Mac OS users could also use iMovie to rotate or flip videos, movie clips, etc. as well for free. This way could be used as an alternative to using paid software such as Filmora if the extra editing features offered aren’t necessary.