iRobot Roomba 650/770/880/960/980 Review & Comparison
Here we explain main features of iRobot Roomba robot vacuum cleaners along with comparisons including major and minor differences between the top-selling models.
The interesting fact is that after looking at the best-selling items for ‘Robotic Vacuums’ at major online retailers such as Amazon or Wal-Mart, it would be noticeable that different models of iRobot Roomba vacuums (e.g. 650, 770, 614, 880, etc.) are present there.
That’s because no matter which model or series, these Roomba cleaning robots are very popular.
Most of these features and options are common among all models of Roomba 650 and above. The ones exclusive to a specific model or series is pointed out.
- Spinning side brush – wall corners and edges would gently be cleaned.
- 3-Stage cleaning system – a combination of suction, brushing and agitation is used.
- Scheduling option – up to 7 times per week the robot could be set to clean.
- Self-charging – in order for the Roomba vacuum to be ready to clean at all times, the robot cleaner docks and recharges automatically.
- Simple operation – starting the robot to work is very simple; in fact, just by pressing the ‘Clean’ button.
- Virtual wall technology – using these walls, users could define off limit areas where they don’t want the robots to go for cleaning.
- Low profile design – making the robot able to clean under kickboards, beds and sofas.
- iAdapt Responsive Navigation – avoiding stairs, cleaning around clutter and in general, navigating in each unique house.
- Tangle-free extractors – debris and hair jams would be prevented using these special extractors. (only Roomba 800 & 900 series)
- iRobot HOME App – users could use their smartphones or tablets to set custom cleaning preferences, schedule and clean. (only Roomba 900 series)
One of the great options offered by Roomba 650 & above models is their power to clean pet hair and dander. In other words, lots of users has placed positive comments about these vacuums due to the fact that they’ve had great experiences with them in picking up cat/dog hair off different surfaces such as carpets and hardwood floors.
Roomba 650 vs 770 vs 880 vs 960 vs 980
A lot of people might get confused when shopping for iRobot Roomba vacuums. That’s because there are so many model numbers available on the market. But that should be no issue since we try to make these numbers a bit simpler here.
In fact, closer model numbers mean similar features in this case but with some minor differences.
For instance, Roomba 650 and 770 provide almost the same options and features. The only major exception is that the 650 model uses AeroVac filters whereas Roomba 770 model is equipped with HEPA.
Now for those not knowing what HEPA air filter is, it should be said when it comes to collecting dangerous particles, dust and allergens these are the types of filter needed for keeping a clean air, instead of AeroVac filters.
Also, there come two virtual walls coming with the 770 model in comparison to just one for the 650 model.
Roomba 880 is a more suitable choice for those wanting a balance between features and price: for about an extra one hundred dollars over 650 & 770 models, a few upgrades would be provided which might really worth the cost for many people. These additional features include: tangle-free debris extractors and multi-room navigation.
Roomba 980 has three major upgrades over the 960: cleaning time, Aeroforce (cleaning power) and carpet boost.
The cleaning time for the 980 model is 120 minutes which is a lot of improvement compared to 75 minutes battery life of the 960.
And in terms of the air power when compared to older Roomba vacuums, Roomba 960 provides 5 times more suction power versus 10 times more for the 980 model.
So, if cleaning power and time is really an important decision factor, accept the $200 price difference and go for the 980 model.
Prices & buying
We recommend buying Roomba vacuums from Amazon or Wal-Mart. The main reason is that these retailers have the most number of variety and models for iRobot vacuum cleaners.
The second reason, which might be more important for a vast number of users, is that the best deals and discounts for these products, as for many other products in other categories, are offered by these two companies, as we’ve observed over time.
For instance, at this time, Costco has only two items in the vacuum cleaning robots category, one being Roomba 805.
Anyway, currently at Amazon, these are the prices for these iRobot products: Roomba 650 (
$374 – check out the discounted price), Roomba 770 ( $599.99 – discounted price), Roomba 880 ( $499 – discounted price), Roomba 960 ( $699 – discounted price) and Roomba 980 ( $899 – discounted price).
Users could also purchase Roomba replacement parts and accessories manufactured by iRobot from major retailers.
The advantage of these authentic products over those made by 3rd parties is being fully compatible with the robot vacuums without causing any damage or negative impact.
So just search Amazon, for example, for the needed part name or keyword plus iRobot and see the numerus products in results.