Best 5 Mechanical Pencil Reviews
Here we present our favorite mechanical pencils suitable for students, artists, engineers, writers, etc. These mechanical pencils are from well-known brands such as Staedtler, BIC, Rotring and Pentel and could be used for writing, sketching, drafting and drawing.
Pentel Graph Gear 1000 Automatic Drafting Pencil (0.5mm)
This Pentel mechanical pencil is currently the no.1 bestselling item in its category in Amazon website. This is especially ideal for those needing a pencil for professional work and precise drafting since it is weighted at fingertips and has a solid design.
Also, it is very easily used with templates and rulers because of its 4mm tip design.
- Pentel Super Hi-Polymer Lead could be used for refilling
- For easy use, the tip is retracted and advanced by dual-action retractor
- Graph Gear 1000 provides writing comfort through soft latex-free pads together with chiseled metallic grip
Users could buy this high rated (4.6 stars out of five) mechanical pencil from Amazon for $10.01.
Other variations are also available: 0.9mm ($9.08), 0.7mm ($10.46) and 0.3mm ($10.84).
Staedtler Mars 780 Technical Mechanical Pencil (2mm)
Many engineers/artists might prefer a pencil for drafting or drawing, which could take more pressure compared to regular 0.5 or 0.7mm lead pencils.
Please note that Staedtler Mars 780 is actually a lead holder. It means that the lead would come out of the pencil after pushing the button.
Here are some of the specs of this great pencil by Staedtler:
- Made in Germany
- Integrated lead pointer
- Push button advance, metal clip
- Suitable for drawing, sketching and writing
- Comfortable design and light-weight, with thick leads which hardly snap
For a price of $5.99, this pencil could be purchased from Amazon online retailer.
Rotring 600 Black Barrel Mechanical Pencil (0.5mm)
For those looking for a professional tool for sketching, drawing and technical writing for long periods without fatigue or discomfort, this Rotring mechanical pencil could be a great choice. And the reason for that is because this pencil offers a perfect balance of feeling and weight due to its ergonomically enhanced barrel design.
In addition, users are provided with:
- Precise ruler-based drawing as a result of clear page view given by fixed lead guidance
- No sliding on drawing tables because of hexagonal shape
- Precision lead advancement allowed by brass mechanism
Amazon has listed this pencil for sale with a price tag of $22.88.
There are also 0.35mm and 0.7mm editions available as well.
Uni Mechanical Pencil Kurutoga Pipe Slide (0.5mm)
It is one of those mechanical pencils which look like pens. Uni (Mitsubishi empitsu) is a Japanese stationery brand which produces high quality office supplies with cools shapes and designs.
One of the great advantages of this mechanical pencil is that the lead doesn’t need to be extended out as frequently since while you are writing the guide pipe retracts.
This Uni automatic pencil is available at Amazon for $7.30.
Other than the black color, two other colors of pink ($6.58) and blue ($6.55) are listed for sale too.
BIC ReAction Mechanical Pencil (0.7mm)
When it comes to office products and writing tools, BIC needs no introduction.
- Lead is protected by cushion mechanism and sleeve
- Comfortable full length grip
- Shock absorbing spring
- Lead and eraser refills are included for this refillable mechanical pencil
This pencil is offered at a very cheap price at Amazon since a pack of 12 of these BIC mechanical pencils cost just $13.60.