Sometimes to fix different iPhone problems, users need to restart or hard reset an iPhone. Here we discuss some methods to perform these tasks.
A number of various actions might be meant by iPhone ‘reset’: it might just mean a simple restart, a hard reset or even starting over fresh with the iPhone by deleting all files and content from it and sometimes using a backup for restoring data.
The important point before performing such an action which might delete data from the device is to know exactly which type of reset is required and be prepared accordingly – such as backing up data.
With all that said, most users should rest assured that generally no settings or data would be affected after a normal iPhone reboot or restart.
There are many reasons why people might want to factory reset their iPhone:
- Forgetting password
- iCloud backup data restoration
- fixing a broken iPhone, white screen of death or other iPhone errors.
- Removing personal details from the device before selling it
Simple issues such as app crashed, weak Wi-Fi or cellular connectivity or other basic problems could easily be solved by restarting the iPhone.
This process is very similar to turning on and off the device:
- Sleep/wake button (on the right side or top of the phone, depending on the model) should be held down until the phone displays the power-off slider.
- Release the button.
- Shut down the iPhone by moving the slider from left to right.
- The sleep/wake button should be held down again after the iPhone is shut off. Keep on pressing the button until seeing the Apple logo on the screen.
- When the phone finished booting up it is ready to use again.
These are the iPhone models which could be restarted using this method: iPhone 3G/3GS, iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, iPhone 6/6 Plus/6S/6S Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus.
iPhone X & iPhone 8 restart
Most iPhone models have similar restart process except for iPhone X and iPhone 8 series.
The reason for that is because ‘Emergency SOS’ is the feature which would be called when sleep/wake button is held down.
Follow these steps to restart and iPhone X or 8:
- On the left side of the phone, press the volume up button
- Now, press the volume down button
- On the right side of the phone, hold down the sleep/wake button. That should be done until the Apple logo will be displayed on the screen after phone restart.
Reset iPhone without password (using settings)
There are some requirements in order for this method to work.
The first one is that there should be an iCloud backup which has been done previously. The second one is being enabled a feature named ‘Find my iPhone.’ This way Apple could identify the iPhone and the person having it as the correct user.
After making sure about the above criteria, follow these steps to complete the resetting process:
- After going to the Settings, select ‘Erase All Content and Settings’ from ‘General > Reset.’
- The phone restart will work as if the iPhone has just been purchased: a few steps after being greeted by the classic screen with ‘Hello.’
- When seeing the ‘Apps Data’ screen in the setup process, simple select ‘Restore from iCloud Backup’ item. Next, a list of available backups would be showed to choose from.
iPhone factory reset without passcode (with dr.fone)
Using dr.fone – iOS System Recovery, many users fix system problems, iPhone errors and reboot a stuck iPhone.
Getting the phone back to normal with no data loss is guaranteed by the long history of experience and users base of this software’s developer company.
After downloading dr.fone from the official website and installing it on the system, the below steps could be used for a locked iPhone to perform a hard reset:
- Before going any further, make sure that the phone is on – no matter if it is locked or not. Connect the device to the computer using the original data cable. Close the iTunes if it starts automatically.
- Click ‘System Recovery’ from the screen, after launching dr.fone program.
- Press the ‘Start’ button after reading the instructions on the next window.
- On the next screen, choose the right information for the iPhone from the drop-down menus (such as the model and iOS version). Then click ‘Download.’
- Now just wait until the factory reset by dr.fone is finished. When completed, factory defaults would be restored to the phone.